Sunday, September 15, 2013

UDL Lesson Reflection


As I worked on the UDL lesson this week, I began to better understand the design principles in creating this type of lesson.  I was not familiar with this particular way of lesson planning, so I struggled with it at first.  The hardest part for me was the actual layout of the plan.  I am accustomed to planning for different abilities in my class, but with a different format.  I really liked the way CAST (2009) explained why UDL is necessary:
              Individuals bring a huge variety of skills, needs, and interests to learning. Neuroscience reveals that these differences are as varied and unique as our DNA or fingerprints. Three primary brain networks come into play: Recognition Networks: The “what” of learning; Strategic Networks: The “how” of learning; Affective Networks: The “why” of learning.
This was new information for me and I found it not only helpful but interesting as well.  It helped me focus on the lesson planning.  I also made sure to provide multiple examples to reach all students and I provided various ways for the students to express themselves.  Using UDL will be a great way to reach all learners in my class no matter what their ability may be.  I think there will be other teachers on my campus that will be interested in learning about UDL as well.   

Cast.org (2009). Model UDL lessons. Center for Applied Special Technology. Retrieved from http://udlselfcheck.cast.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment