Sunday, September 1, 2013

EDLD 5364 Week 1 Reflection


Through this week’s readings and videos, I have been particularly interested in the constructivism theory and how it will fit into my students’ technology use in the classroom.  We know that students learn in many different ways.  The Constructivist Learning Theory tells us that a learner-centered lesson provides more opportunity for discussion and student responses.  The goal is to connect the students’ prior knowledge and experience with a current experience.  Technology can definitely enhance this by allowing each student to work at an individual pace.  With this model, the teacher becomes more of a facilitator allowing for the students to become the problem-solvers (SEDL, 1991).  We are using more project-based learning in my district and this type of setting is much more conducive to that.  As Solomon and Schrum (2007) point out, “Using collaboration and communication tools with educational methods that also promote these skills – such as project-based learning – will help students acquire the abilities they need for the future” (p. 18).  It is important for me, as a teacher, to help my students not only be ready for the next grade, but to take more ownership of their learning.  I need to step back to let my students discover more on their own and stop directing so much.  PItler, Hubbell, and Kuhn (2007) state that, “Research shows that integrating technology into instruction tends to move classrooms from teacher-dominated to student-centered learning environments” (p. 3).  The article “If I Teach This Way Am I Doing My Job?” was very informative.  It reiterates the fact that there is going to be some things that students are not interested in, but need to be taught nonetheless.  However, the teacher does allow for the students’ responses to further the lesson (Sprague & Dede, 1999).  With this information, I now have a better understanding of how to guide my students instead of tell them what to do.
The Theory of Connectivism also supports technology in the classroom.  In fact, Siemens believes “that using technology and making connections are linked” (Solomon & Schrum, 2007, p. 40).  Because learning is considered to be a continual process, “learning and work-related activities are no longer separate” (Solomon & Schrum, 2007, p.41).  The idea that students need to fully understand where to find information really hit home with me. 
The Cyborg Learning Theory was a bit more difficult to fully comprehend, but I do agree with the idea that it will help our students and our institutions be ready to adapt more easily to the rapidly changing technological advances.  McPheeters states in his article “Social Networking Technologies in Education” that, “Learning how to learn will become the new curriculum” (2009).  That does fit into the idea of connectivism, in that; students need to know where to find information. 
I have felt a little overwhelmed this week with all this new information, but I am excited to apply what I have learned in my classroom.  I need to adapt my way of teaching to include these new ideas. 

McPheeters, D. (2009, March). Social networking technologies in education. Tech and Learning, 29(8). Retrieved from http://www.techlearning.com/article/16250
Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, Introduction, 1 – 14.
Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2007). Web 2.0: New tools, new schools. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education, 7-44.
Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, (1999). Learning as a personal event: A brief introduction to constructivism. Retrieved from http://www.sedl.org/pubs/tec26/intro2c.html
Sprague, D. & Dede, C. (1999). If I teach this way, Am I doing my job: Constructivism in the classroom. Leading and Learning, 27(1). Retrieved from the International Society for Technology in Education at http://imet.csus.edu/imet9/280/docs/dede_constructivisim.pdf




No comments:

Post a Comment