Sunday, September 29, 2013

EDLD 5364 Course Embedded Reflection


I have gained so much knowledge about using technology in different ways to incorporate into my teaching during this course.  Both textbooks have been very informative and helpful.  The introduction of the Pitler text sets the tone of the book by explaining how technology integration will move classrooms to a student-centered learning environment (Pitler, Hubbell, & Kuhn, 2012, p. 3).  I have known the importance of differentiating my lessons and instruction and I’m familiar with different strategies to accomplish that goal.  However, I had not thought about how technology could be used in many of the ways that were described in the readings.  For example, the KWHL chart that was listed on p. 21 of the Pitler book has taken a typical KWL chart but added the How to find the information.  I actually experienced that problem this week in my class.  My students knew how to “Google it”, but they really didn’t understand how to search.
I found the information from www.lessonbuilder.cast.org helpful in learning how to write a UDL lesson and incorporating all three learning networks.  As I looked through the model lessons that are posted on the site, I realized how much I needed to include so that the varying needs of the students in my classroom would be met.  “The way we learn is different as our fingerprint or our DNA” (lessonbuilder.cast.org, n.d. [video]).  One of the most important things I understood through these five weeks is that there is so much available through technology that there is no reason to not be able to differentiate.
The group project was daunting at the beginning, but my group worked so well together that it actually became enjoyable.  Through collaboration, we were able to accomplish all the tasks that were assigned.  The most important thing I learned from the project was how well collaboration can work.  However, I do think that students need to be taught how to work together.  I can see how throwing kids into groups and expecting everything to work out would be a disaster.  There were several videos during the last five weeks that show students collaborating and James Paul Gee talked about how students need to be able to solve problems collaboratively. 
Overall, I feel that this course was very beneficial in many ways.  Technology has always made me a little nervous, but I have become more confident in my abilities.  I have introduced some new technology activities and I want to continue to add more. 


References
Edutopia.org (nd). Big thinkers: James Paul Gee on grading with games. Retrieved from http://www.edutopia.org/digital-generation-james-gee-video

Lessonbuilder.cast.org. (nd). Universal Design and Universal Design for Learning. Retrieved from http://lessonbuilder.cast.org/window.php?src=videos

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., & Kuhn, M. (2012). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.

Solomon, G., & Schrum, L. (2007). Web 2.0: New tools, new schools. Eugene, OR: International Society for Technology in Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment