Friday, July 19, 2013

What I Learned




I was not familiar with the term action research but now I understand how useful it can be. It is very important for a teacher or administrator to take time to reflect on teaching practices, leadership skills, or other issues that arise in a classroom or school. Action research starts with that reflection and continues with the systematic and intentional study of those practices or skills (Dana, 2009). The process allows for a better understanding of those practices: what works and what doesn’t. It also helps to bring about useful and important change. I like the idea that action research is more personal. It involves the people that are actually part of the situation. The teachers and administrators that are actually working with the students have input. I’m looking forward to the collaboration that can come from action research. One way I can use it in my classroom is to look for ways to enhance the curriculum through the use of iPads. I don’t want to just put them out there for the students to play on; I want to be prepared with some good educational ideas. Other ways we can use it in my school are for discipline and motivational strategies for the students. We had some big discipline problems last year and I think using action research to address those issues would be extremely helpful. Although, the process seems daunting and time consuming, I think action research is worth it. If done correctly, it forces you to look at your practice as an educator and then make the necessary changes to improve.


Dana, N. F. (2009). Leading with passion and knowledge: The principal as action researcher.  Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment